US/EST: 19 Nov 2019 05:23

CLARIFICATION ON SPAMMING IN SHOUT BOX

23 posts, 11 voices

DiscoMary
DiscoMary 794 points
4169 posts
Send Message Recent Forum Posts watchlist permalink

10 years ago

After discussions with ADMIN as to the spamming saga a few rules have been drawn up.

1. An event can appear no more than twice in the shout box should you scroll through the full page.

2. Any person caught breaking this will be classed as spamming in that case and a warning given. Should this go ignored then a 24 hour shout box ban will be enforced.

3. There is no time limit to this rule so even if the event was linked twice in 2 hours, but still shows more than that in the shout box it will be deemed as a spam.

4. If the same shout box message is posted without a link it is still classed as spamming or begging and you will serve time in the 24 hour SIN BIN!!

Hopefully that will put an end to the question of what is classed as spamming or begging and what isn’t not.

Good Luck All with your events.

Disco

post modified 10 years ago

ZeBeSt7R
ZeBeSt7R 115 points
6495 posts

10 years ago

WHERE S OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH?
lol

DiscoMary
DiscoMary 794 points
4169 posts

10 years ago

We are not stopping you talking to yourself in the mirror, just dont do it in the shout box.

MDMWINS
MDMWINS 11886 points
26418 posts

10 years ago

Disco do you by any chance happen to be a school teacher :) …. joke aside think all you mods are doing a great job keep it up!

advertisement
Chief
Chief 29 points
361 posts

10 years ago

Finally, good rule.

rwestover
rwestover 152 points
7286 posts

10 years ago

while i agree that spamming should be closely monitored, i’m not sure i completely agree with the guidelines above:

1. An event can appear no more than twice in the shout box should you scroll through the full page.

3. There is no time limit to this rule so even if the event was linked twice in 2 hours, but still shows more than that in the shout box it will be deemed as a spam.

personally, i rarely scroll down in the shoutbox…typically i just look at the home page and the 5 or 6 visible comments in the shoutbox are all i see…therefore i can’t completely agree with guideline number 1.

in reference to guideline 3, why would it matter if no one’s said a word in over 2 hours and i want to link my event again? the objective of eliminating spams is to limit the amount of shoutbox clutter..well…if no one’s chatting, then what’s it matter if someone wants to advertise every 15 minutes or so (regardless of how redundant it is)?

here is what i suggest:

one spam per 10 minutes unless you can scroll down the shoutbox and not see your last spam, then you may spam again regardless of whether it’s been 10 minutes or not since your last one.

ZeBeSt7R
ZeBeSt7R 115 points
6495 posts

10 years ago

i love how advertise has been officially switched by the word Spam :)

rwestover
rwestover 152 points
7286 posts

10 years ago

unsolicited advertisement = spam

DiscoMary
DiscoMary 794 points
4169 posts

10 years ago

Rwest this was gone through with Admin before posting… Suggest you take it up with them then.

The rules take into account that some people have the full shoutbox open across their full screen so shows more than the 5 or 6 post that you can only see. So this Rule cover all scenarios.

I think rule 3. matters a lot, if no one is has chatted for 2 hours and your link is still showing, why would you need to list it again?? What purpose would that serve except for updating the time of the link, that makes no common sense to me and as you point out redundant. All it would achieve is filling the shout box with numerous links when one would suffice.

Would like to hear what people think of this now as it has been running for a couple of days… From what i’ve heard from everyone it seem’s to be a positive step forward.

themango69
themango69 24 points
1173 posts

10 years ago

And what is the punishment for this? Since it isn’t automatic, looks like it will be up to a mod to do something about it and I don’t see what the punishment will be.

aceup9
aceup9 2 points
36 posts

10 years ago

@mango the punishment is instantaneous.I saw that. Crazysharks started flooding both boxes with his crap as soon as he was let back in. Sue slammed an insta 24hr chat banhammer on him, boom! It was beautiful.

themango69
themango69 24 points
1173 posts

10 years ago

lol nice

DiscoMary
DiscoMary 794 points
4169 posts

10 years ago

See rule 2. for punishment.

themango69
themango69 24 points
1173 posts

10 years ago

Guess that was kinda obvious wasn’t it…teaches me to skim huh? :)

koleff84
koleff84 48 points
754 posts

10 years ago

I agree with rwestover. Although sometimes I’m sick of spam while I’m trying to make a conversation with somebody, I think the new rules would provoke more people to choose another way to spam. And I’m sure nobody would like to receive 50 PMs per day all of them beginning with ‘To all buyers of event 987654321’, because 40 of them would actually contain “Hey guys, check my now custom event! It’s great, so buy, buy, buy! Here’s the link:…”

ZeBeSt7R
ZeBeSt7R 115 points
6495 posts

10 years ago
This post is hidden
Reason: Off Topic
Comment:

koleff84
koleff84 48 points
754 posts

10 years ago

“1. An event can appear no more than twice in the shout box should you scroll through the full page.”

Does that apply for comments in the shoutbox like:
“Guys, I’ve created a new event! Check it out in my profile!”, without actually pasting the link to the event?

If not, then the whole new rule is meaningless.

DiscoMary
DiscoMary 794 points
4169 posts

10 years ago

I agree Koleff, will keep an eye on that and use common sense… If out of hand then no doubt a warning will suffice.

Ranchorelaxo
Ranchorelaxo 36 points
928 posts

10 years ago

I can only say. Its a great idea and a great rule. Took some time but it arrived and thats great. This was the main reason that second (VIP) shoutbox was created. One for advertising and one to actually chat. There were a lot of users that didnt understand the difference so by all means this is great. I strongly believe you dont need to announce your events for than three times a day in order for them to sell. If you are a constant, honest and decent/good player, you wont need to seek for buyers. Buyers will be the ones looking for ur events.

advertisement
themango69
themango69 24 points
1173 posts

10 years ago

What is up with Zeb’s comment above? Is that Mod’s in action or did he just post that text?

doble_v_2009
doble_v_2009 5 points
3 posts

almost 10 years ago

lol

BlakeInIndy
BlakeInIndy 49 points
911 posts

almost 10 years ago

why bump a 5 month old thread with “lol”

themango69
themango69 24 points
1173 posts

almost 10 years ago

2nd that haha…looking at my comment 5 months ago and thinking wtf am i talking about? hahah